Aqueduct Tour of Cantalloc in Nazca
Cantalloc Aqueduct is the name of a great attraction in Nazca. It is located on the way from Nazca to Cusco.
In order to survive Man has always been smart to adapt to seemingly impossible conditions to live and on this occasion, the Nazca people have had to find a way to have access to water in this arid desert climate of Nazca.
In the 5th century or late period of Nazca civilization, the aqueducts were built to provide for years round access to water essential for permanent inhabitation and irrigation of the Nazca valley.
Water running in aquifers was channeled to where it was needed using man-made underground channels. Concentric paths leading down to these underground channels provided direct access to the water.
The Aqueducts of Cantayo have an S-shaped to slow down the water flow and prevent it from running too fast in times of flooding. The Nazca people also constructed access points, which still now give direct access to clean and also oxygenated water which is surprisingly fresh.
They knew that water coming down from the Andes was flowing not only in rivers, but also in aquifers, and intelligently tapped into these essential resources.
Some even argue that the famous Nazca lines actually point to underground sources of water and that the symbols are hints of what can be found in the arid soil.
Why book this experience
- Marvel and walk along the famous aqueducts of Cantayo.
- Discover how they could collect water from the groundwater table.
- Amazed at how they use the huarango tree in the channels.
Day Activity You will be picked up from your hotel in Nazca and taken at the designated time in an air-conditioned vehicle to the Aqueducts of Cantalloc. Our local and knowledgeable tour guide will accompany you on this tour.
Depending on the time you may have along the way before arriving at the water channel, we are going to be able to stop in a place called Needles to observe the original condition of huge Nazca lines and trapezoids from the top of a little hill (optional for those who couldn’t get the flight over the Nazca Lines or who would like to see the Nazca Lines as closest possible).
Afterward, we will continue visiting the ancient Nazca channels of Cantayo. In this place, we will walk along the enormous spiral holes and also the channels. Our guide will explain how the ancient Nazca people could build all these channels then we will go for a stroll in the surrounding fields to see some crops produced by the Nazca valley.
At the end of the tour, you will be dropped back at your hotel in Nazca.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off Roundtrip Transportation from your Nazca hotel
- Bilingual guide (English / Spanish).
- Entrance Fees (S/. 10.00 per person).
- Meals & Beverages.
- 1½ hours
- From:7:00 hrs to 17:00 hrs.
- The Cantalloc aqueducts tour must be booked at least one week in advance of your date tour
- The confirmation voucher includes the contact details of the tour guide and meeting point.
- We will happily answer any questions you may have about the best time to start remember Nasca city is a very warm place.
Don’t forget to bring your camera and binoculars…!!
Be sure to check out all of the other amazing tours in Nazca that we have to offer!