Pampa Galeras National Reserve Tour
Half Day Pampa Galeras National Reserve Tour
The Pampa Galeras National Reserve is the largest vicuña reserve in the world. It was created in 1967 as a measure for saving the endangered species it now protects. The reserve covers an area of 6,500 hectares, and its zone of influence covers a further 60,000 hectares and the altitude varies from 3840 to 4200 m.a.s.l /12.598 to 13.780 f.a.s.l
The Pampa Galeras National Reserve, composed of an extensive plain with slight elevations, is surrounded by valleys and gorges. The weather is cold and dry with an average annual temperature of 7.9ºC (46.2ºF). The reserve is a shelter for some 6000 vicuñas and home to other typical high Andean animals such as Andean foxes, pampas cats, Andean deer, and vizcachas as well as a variety of birds like the Andean gull, the hummingbird, the Andean eagle, and the kestrel. The typical flora of the place is represented by Peruvian feather grass and small forested areas containing species of quishuar (called kiswar in Quechua) and also queñuales trees.
One of the great attractions of the reserve is the “Chaccu”, or collective hunt, an ancestral practice during which the vicuñas are corralled and shorn without being killed. This festival occurs once a year, around June 24th.
Why book this experience
- Enjoy breathtaking views of this area from vicuñas declared a National Reserve.
- Be amazed by the drastic changes in geography and climate between the coast and highlands.
- See over 30 different types of Andean animals at the local museum.
The Pampa Galeras National Reserve is located about 90 kilometers from the city of Nazca (598 meters, 1962 ft, above sea level) You will be picked up at 7:00 hrs in an air-conditioned private vehicle from your hotel in Nazca. Accompanied by a bilingual guide speaking English and Spanish, you will be taken for about 2 hours following the same road from Nasca to Cusco on a winding road, that leads high into the Andes to an elevation of 4200 meters, 13,780 ft, above sea level. This area is home to two South American camels, the vicuñas and guanacos, which can be seen running freely through the Andean plateau.
Unlike their cousins, the llamas and alpacas, the vicuñas and guanacos are wild animals, as they have not been domesticated and have adapted to high altitudes where drought and freezing nights are the natural rules.
On the way, you will enjoy a magnificent landscape that combines different ecological levels, ranging from dry coastal hills with little vegetation to a high Andean plateau full of grass. Afterward, we will arrive at the National Reserve, and will first visit a small museum that shows all the fauna in stuffed conditions that exist in the Andes area, and also will learn about the evolution of these Andean Camels. Here we will have a nice talk about the Vicuña Project and will see how the Andean villages organized themselves in order to protect this camel species that was in danger of extinction in the 1960s. Afterward, we will walk throughout the national reserve, visiting places where Vicuñas and other species used to congregate. Here you will have the best chance to get a closer view of these animals and also take pictures. In addition to these camels, you also can see the famous Andean rodent known by the locals as viscacha, as well as eagles, ducks, and condors
after one hour or up to you, we will return to our van and will start to descend to the Coast.
At the end of the tour, you will be dropped back at your hotel in Nazca.
- Hotel pick- up and drop-off roundtrip transportation from select Nazca hotels in an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Bilingual tour guide/driver (English / Spanish) for small groups of 04 people and more there will be 01 drivers and 01 tour guide.
- Entrance fees: foreign tourist = S/.30.00 per person / national tourist = S/.11.00 per person. kids =S/.5.00
- 5½ hours.
- From: 7:00 hrs (preferably during mornings)
- This Pampa Galeras National Reserve private tour must be booked at least 01 week in advance of your travel date.
- The confirmation voucher includes the local contact details of the tour guide.
- We will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.